This is an archive copy of city information (public records)
This archive* and web site are in no way affilated with the "City of Ames". If you have questions regarding this site please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Current information is at the city web site cityofames.org
REGULAR MEETING OF THE AMES CITY COUNCIL
COUNCIL CHAMBERS - CITY HALL
SEPTEMBER 9, 2014
CALL TO ORDER: 7:00 p.m.
1. Proclamation for Addiction Recovery Month, September 2014
CONSENT AGENDA: All items listed under the consent agenda will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a request is made prior to the time the Council members vote on the motion.
2. Motion approving payment of claims
3. Motion approving minutes of Special Meeting of August 19, 2014, and Regular Meeting of August 26, 2014
4. Motion setting November 10, 2014, as Regular City Council meeting date, instead of November 11, 2014 (Veterans Day)
5. Motion approving certification of civil service applicants (Click here for more information)
6. Motion approving Report of Contract Change Orders for August 16-31, 2014 (Click here for more information)
7. Motion approving renewal of the following beer permits, wine permits, and liquor licenses: (Click here for more information)
a. Class E Liquor, C Beer, & B Wine Cyclone Liquors, 626 Lincoln Way
b. Class C Liquor Corner Pocket/DGs Taphouse, 125 Main Street
c. Class B Liquor & Outdoor Service Hilton Garden Inn Ames, 1325 Dickinson Avenue
d. Class C Liquor Whiskey River, 132-134 Main Street, pending proof of dram shop coverage
e. Class C Liquor, B Wine, & Outdoor Service - +39 Restaurant, Market, & Cantina, 2640 Stange Road, pending proof of dram shop coverage
f. Class C Liquor & Outdoor Service Wallabys Grille, 3720 W. Lincoln Way
9. Resolution approving closure of Douglas Avenue on September 14 from Noon to 2 p.m. for Library Grand Re-Opening (Click here for more information)
10. Requests from Campustown Action Association for Dinkey Day on September 26, 2014: (Click here for more information)
a. Motion approving Blanket Vending Permit
b. Resolution approving waiver of fees for parking, electricity, and Blanket Vending Permit
c. Resolution approving closure of Parking Lots T and Y on Welch Avenue from 1:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
11. Ames High Homecoming Committee Requests for Homecoming Parade on Monday, September15, 2014: (Click here for more information)
a. Resolution approving closure of Parking Lot MM, south half of Parking Lot M, portions of CBD Lot Z, and portions of Main Street, Douglas Avenue, Fifth Street, Burnett Avenue, Kellogg Avenue, Clark Avenue, and Pearle Avenue from 5:30 p.m. to approximately 7:30 p.m.
b. Resolution approving waiver of parking meter fees in Main Street Cultural District from 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and for Parking Lot N from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
c. Resolution approving of waiver of fee for Fireworks Permit
d. Motion approving fireworks permit for display after football game (approximately 9:30 p.m.) on September 19, 2014
13. Resolution awarding contract to Stivers Ford of Waukee, Iowa, for two 2015 Ford Taurus Interceptor Sedans at $25,586 each (Click here for more information)
14. Resolution approving Change Order No. 18 with A&P/Samuels Group for Library Renovation and Expansion Project (Click here for more information)
15. Resolution approving completion of 2012/13 Water Program (Toronto Area Water Main Replacement) (Click here for more information)
PUBLIC FORUM: This is a time set aside for comments from the public on topics of City business other than those listed on this agenda. Please understand that the Council will not take any action on your comments at this meeting due to requirements of the Open Meetings Law, but may do so at a future meeting. The Mayor and City Council welcome comments from the public; however, at no time is it appropriate to use profane, obscene, or slanderous language. The Mayor may limit each speaker to five minutes.
16. Hearing for rezoning of Quarry Estates Subdivision from Agricultural (A) to Floating Suburban Residential Low-Density (FS-RL) and Floating Suburban Residential Medium-Density (FS-RM): (Click here for more information)
a. First passage of ordinance
17. Hearing on amendments to Flood Plain Zoning Regulations contained in Municipal Code Chapter 9: (Click here for more information)
a. First passage of ordinance
18. Hearing on City Hall Renovation Project - Phase 2: (Click here for more information)
a. Resolution approving final plans and specifications and awarding contract to HPC, LLC, of Ames, Iowa, in the amount of $820,000 for base bid and $9,900 for Alternative #1
19. Hearing on WPC Digester Improvements Project: (Click here for more information)
a. Resolution approving final plans and specifications and awarding contract to Ericksen Construction Company, Inc., of Blair, Nebraska, in the amount of $1,615,750
20. Hearing on GT2 Control Room and Shop Preaction Sprinkler System and Fire Alarm Upgrade (Click here for more information)
a. Resolution approving final plans and specifications and awarding contract to Summit Fire Protection of Urbandale, Iowa, in the amount of $48,418
21. Hearing on 2014/15 Right-of-Way Restoration Program (Contract #1): (Click here for more information)
a. Motion accepting report of no bids
b. Motion directing staff to evaluate alternatives for accomplishing permanent turf restoration for the planned project areas
PLANNING & HOUSING:
22. Resolution approving Preliminary Plat for Roden Subdivision (Click here for more information)
23. Staff report on parking revisions on North 2nd Street (Click here for more information)
24. 2013 Carbon Footprint Report (Click here for more information)
25. Motion approving Banner Policy with modifications (Click here for more information)
26. Staff report on processes to notify neighbors affected by special events (Click here for more information)
27. Staff report on Youth Master Plan (Click here for more information)
28. Second passage of ordinance pertaining to parking regulations on new streets and corrections at various locations
29. Second passage of ordinance designating parking restrictions and loading zone on Aspen Road
30. Third passage and adoption of ORDINANCE NO. 4193 rezoning 205 South Wilmoth Avenue from Special Government/Airport (S-GA) to Residential Low Density (RL)
*Please note that this agenda may be changed up to 24 hours before the meeting time as provided by Section 21.4(2), Code of Iowa.